Cassia Community Organisation is a community based, not-for-profit organisation concerned primarily with local issues. It aims to improve the quality of life in Holroyd, and is committed to working with residents - following Community Development principles - to bring about change on both a personal and a community level. Its major on-going projects are the Community Development Projects and a Neighbourhood Centre.
Cassia Community Centre was established informally in 1986 by a
small group of residents, and was incorporated as an association in
September that year.
The Association is run efficiently and effectively by committed employees, offering relevant and beneficial programs to the community, and has the support of a large number of volunteers. The organisation's strengths include the following:
- A developed, positive relationship with the community, other community organisations and local government
- Maintenance of a well-established organisation
- A Cassia Community Centre newsletter sent to a wide and expansive audience
- Strong capabilities and commitment of employees
- Convenient location and comfortable, informal atmosphere
- Projects which address a number of community issues, i.e. indigenous issues, literacy issues, computer skills, disability, etc
- Strong network with other community organisations
- Successful and highly recognised projects such as the Safety Project